Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2019, vol. 28, nr 8, August, p. 1143–1148
Publication type: review article
Advanced heart failure: A review
1 Faculty of Medicine, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poland
2 1st Department of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poland
Heart failure (HF) has been recognized as a pandemic and is a serious clinical and health problem associated with significant mortality, morbidity and expenditure on healthcare, especially among older people. Progress in medicine has made it possible for an increasing number of people with HF to live longer than ever before. Therefore, a new and serious clinical problem has appeared – advanced heart failure (AHF). A better understanding of this issue is very important, because there are many more patients waiting for transplantations than there are available hearts. The role of the medical team is to keep the patient in the best condition until the heart transplant/implantation of left ventricular assist devices or at least to ensure the best possible quality of life. This article reviews the available data on AHF. The authors have succinctly presented different definitions and methods of the AHF diagnosis established by medical societies, as well as epidemiological data, methods of assessment, and possible treatment strategies.
heart failure, advanced heart failure, stage D, decompensation
- Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD, et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur J Heart Fail. 2016;18(8):891–975.
- Setoguchi S, Stevenson LW, Schneeweiss S. Repeated hospitalizations predict mortality in the community population with heart failure. Am Heart J. 2007;154(2):260–266.
- Crespo-Leiro MG, Metra M, Lund LH, et al. Advanced heart failure: A position statement of the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur J Heart Fail. 2018;20(11):1505–1535.
- Yancy CW, Jessup M, Bozkurt B, et al; American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: Executive summary. A report of the American College of Cardiology Founda-tion/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. Circulation. 2013;128(16):1810–1852.
- Fang JC, Ewald GA, Allen LA, et al; Heart Failure Society of America Guidelines Committee. Advanced (stage D) heart failure: A statement from the Heart Failure Society of America Guidelines Committee. J Card Fail. 2015;21(6):519–534.
- Stevenson LW, Pagani FD, Young JB, et al. INTERMACS profiles of advanced heart failure: The current picture. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009;28(6):535–541.
- Savarese G, Lund LH. Global public health burden of heart failure. Card Fail Rev. 2017;3(1):7–11.
- Ammar KA, Jacobsen SJ, Mahoney DW, et al. Prevalence and prognostic significance of heart failure stages: Application of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association heart failure staging criteria in the community. Circulation. 2007;115(12):1563–1570.
- Rose EA, Gelijns AC, Moskowitz AJ, et al; Randomized Evaluation of Mechanical Assistance for the Treatment of Congestive Heart Failure (REMATCH) Study Group. Long-term use of a left ventricular assist device for end-stage heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2001;345(20):1435–1443.
- Hershberger RE, Nauman D, Walker TL, Dutton D, Burgess D. Care processes and clinical outcomes of continuous outpatient support with inotropes (COSI) in patients with refractory end-stage heart failure. J Card Fail. 2003;9(3):180–187.
- Solomon SD, Dobson J, Pocock S, et al; Candesartan in Heart failure: Assessment of Reduction in Mortality and morbidity (CHARM) Investigators. Influence of nonfatal hospitalization for heart failure on subsequent mortality in patients with chronic heart failure. Circulation. 2007;116(13):1482–1487.
- Lee DS, Austin PC, Rouleau JL, Liu PP, Naimark D, Tu JV. Predicting mortality among patients hospitalized for heart failure: Derivation and validation of a clinical model. JAMA. 2003;290(19):2581–2587.
- Fonarow GC, Adams KF, Abraham WT, Yancy CW, Boscardin WJ; ADHERE Scientific Advisory Committee, Study Group, and Investigators. Risk stratification for in-hospital mortality in acutely decompensated heart failure: Classification and regression tree analysis. JAMA. 2005;293(5):572–580.
- Pocock SJ, Ariti CA, McMurray JJV, et al.; Meta-Analysis Global Group in Chronic Heart Failure. Predicting survival in heart failure: A risk score based on 39,372 patients from 30 studies. Eur Heart J. 2013;34(19):1404–1413.
- Allen LA, Gheorghiade M, Reid KJ, et al. Identifying patients hospitalized with heart failure at risk for unfavorable future quality of life. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2011;4(4):389–398.
- Kittleson M, Hurwitz S, Shah MR, et al. Development of circulatory-renal limitations to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors identifies patients with severe heart failure and early mortality. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003;41(11):2029–2035.
- Echouffo-Tcheugui JB, Erqou S, Butler J, Yancy CW, Fonarow GC. Assessing the risk of progression from asymptomatic left ventricular dysfunction to overt heart failure: A systematic overview and meta-analysis. JACC Heart Fail. 2016;4(4):237–248.
- Metra M, Ponikowski P, Dickstein K, et al; Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology. Advanced chronic heart failure: A position statement from the Study Group on Advanced Heart Failure of the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur J Heart Fail. 2007;9(6–7):684–694.
- Middlekauff HR, Stevenson WG, Stevenson LW. Prognostic significance of atrial fibrillation in advanced heart failure: A study of 390 patients. Circulation. 1991;84(1):40–48.
- Patel H, Madanieh R, Kosmas CE, Vatti KS, Vittorio TJ. Reversible cardiomyopathies. Clin Med Insights Cardiol. 2015;9(Suppl 2):7–14.
- Taylor AL, Ziesche S, Yancy C, et al; African-American Heart Failure Trial Investigators. Combination of isosorbide dinitrate and hydralazine in blacks with heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2004;351(20):2049–2057.
- De Ferrari GM, Mazzuero A, Agnesina L, et al. Favourable effects of heart rate reduction with intravenous administration of ivabradine in patients with advanced heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2008;10(6):550–555.
- McMurray JJV, Packer M, Desai AS, et al; PARADIGM-HF Investigators and Committees. Angiotensin-neprilysin inhibition versus enalapril in heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(11):993–1004.
- De Luca L, Colucci WS, Nieminen MS, Massie BM, Gheorghiade M. Evidence-based use of levosimendan in different clinical settings. Eur Heart J. 2006;27(16):1908–1920.
- Comín-Colet J, Manito N, Segovia-Cubero J, et al; LION-HEART Study Investigators. Efficacy and safety of intermittent intravenous outpatient administration of levosimendan in patients with advanced heart failure: The LION-HEART multicentre randomized trial. Eur J Heart Fail. 2018;20(7):1128–1136.
- Adamowicz J, Slawuta A, Sokolowska M, et al. His-bundle-pacing-based ICD as an innovative approach in decompensated chronic heart failure and concomitant permanent atrial fibrillation. Eur J Heart Fail. 2018;20 (Suppl S1):5–638.