Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2019, vol. 28, nr 3, March, p. 299–305
Publication type: original article
The effect of silver nanoparticles on the reproductive system of adult male rats: A morphological, histological and DNA integrity study
1 Department of Anatomical Sciences, School of Medicine, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
2 Endometrium and Endometriosis Research Center, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
3 Center of Excellence for Occupational Health, Occupational Health and Safety Research Center, School of Public Health, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
4 Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
5 Medicinal and Natural Products Chemistry Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran
6 Birjand Cardiovascular Diseases Research Center, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Background. Silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) are more often used in various products, and consequently the potential deleterious effects associated with exposure to them are of concern. Several lines of evidence have demonstrated that the toxicity of AgNPs affects different organs and leads to some side effects, including weight loss, inflammation and cell death.
Objectives. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of different concentrations of AgNPs on sperm parameters and testicular histology.
Material and Methods. In the present study, 28 male adult Wistar rats were categorized into a control group and 3 experimental groups (AgNP-1, AgNP-2 and AgNP-3), intraperitoneally (i.p.) receiving 30, 125 and 300 mg/kg of AgNPs, respectively. Twenty-eight days after injection the epididymes and the testes of each rat were dissected in order to evaluate sperm parameters, sperm chromatin integrity and histomorphometric changes in the testicular tissue.
Results. The results showed a significant decrease in sperm count (p < 0.0001), vitality (p < 0.05) and morphology changes (p < 0.001) in the group receiving 300 mg/kg of AgNPs compared to the control group. A significant decrease was also observed in the number of spermatogonia, Sertoli and Leydig cells in the AgNP-2 and AgNP-3 groups (p < 0.05). The evaluation of sperm chromatin did not show any significant differences among the experimental groups (p > 0.05).
Conclusion. The data showed some dose-dependent adverse effects of AgNPs on sperm and seminiferous tubules. More experimental investigations are necessary to draw better conclusions regarding the safety of nanoparticles (NPs) on the male reproduction system.
testis, sperm chromatin, sperm parameters, histomorphometry, silver nanoparticles
- Chaudhry Q, Scotter M, Blackburn J, et al. Applications and implications of nanotechnologies for the food sector. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess. 2008;25(3):241–258.
- Chaloupka K, Malam Y, Seifalian AM. Nanosilver as a new generation of nanoproduct in biomedical applications. Trends Biotechnol. 2010; 28(11):580–588.
- Sibbald RG, Contreras-Ruiz J, Coutts P, Fierheller M, Rothman A, Woo K. Bacteriology, inflammation and healing: A study of nanocrystalline silver dressings in chronic venous leg ulcers. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2007;20(10):549–558.
- Ahamed M, Alsalhi MS, Siddiqui M. Silver nanoparticle applications and human health. Clin Chim Acta. 2010;411(23–24):1841–1848.
- Choi JE, Kim S, Ahn JH, et al. Induction of oxidative stress and apoptosis by silver nanoparticles in the liver of adult zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2010;100(2):151–159.
- Yoshida Y, Itoh N, Saito Y, Hayakawa M, Niki E. Application of water-soluble radical initiator, 2, 2’-azobis-[2-(2-imidazolin-2-yl) propane] dihydrochloride, to a study of oxidative stress. Free Radic Res. 2004;38(4):375–384.
- Schrand AM, Rahman MF, Hussain SM, Schlager JJ, Smith DA, Syed AF. Metal‐based nanoparticles and their toxicity assessment. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol. 2010;2(5):544–568.
- Pothuraju R, Kaul G. Effect of silver nanoparticles on functionalities of buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) spermatozoa. Adv Sci Eng Med. 2013;5(2):91–95.
- Talebi AR, Khorsandi L, Moridian M. The effect of zinc oxide nanoparticles on mouse spermatogenesis. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2013;30(9):1203–1209.
- Gromadzka-Ostrowska J, Dziendzikowska K, Lankoff A, et al. Silver nanoparticles effects on epididymal sperm in rats. Toxicol Lett. 2012; 214(3):251–258.
- Pourhamzeh M, Mahmoudian ZG, Saidijam M, Asari MJ, Alizadeh Z. The effect of silver nanoparticles on the biochemical parameters of liver function in serum, and the expression of caspase-3 in the liver tissues of male rats. Avicenna J Med Biochem. 2016;4(2):e35557.
- Sobczak-Kupiec A, Malina D, Zimowska M, Wzorek Z. Characterization of gold nanoparticles for various medical application. Dig J Nanomater Biostruct. 2011;6(2):803–808.
- Shokri S, Hemadi M, Bayat G, Bahmanzadeh M, Jafari‐Anarkooli I, Mashkani Β. Combination of running exercise and high dose of anabolic androgenic steroid, nandrolone decanoate, increases protamine deficiency and DNA damage in rat spermatozoa. Andrologia. 2014;46(2):184–190.
- Bahmanzadeh M, Vahidinia A, Mehdinejadiani S, Shokri S, Alizadeh Z. Dietary supplementation with astaxanthin may ameliorate sperm parameters and DNA integrity in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Clin Exp Reprod Med. 2016;43(2):90–96.
- Bahmanzadeh M, Abolhassani F, Amidi F, Sh E, Salehi M, Abbasi M. The effects of nitric oxide synthase inhibitor (L-NAME) on epididymal sperm count, motility and morphology in varicocelized rat. Daru. 2008;16(1):23–28.
- Talebi AR, Khalili MA, Hossaini A. Assessment of nuclear DNA integrity of epididymal spermatozoa following experimental chronic spinal cord injury in the rat. Int J Androl. 2007;30(3):163–169.
- Mahmoudian ZG, Sohrabi M, Lahoutian H, Javad M. Histological alterations and apoptosis in rat liver following silver nanoparticle intraorally administration. Entomol Appl Sci Lett. 2016;3(5):27–35.
- Beer C, Foldbjerg R, Hayashi Y, Sutherland DS, Autrup H. Toxicity of silver nanoparticles – nanoparticle or silver ion? Toxicol Lett. 2012;208(3): 286–292. doi: 10.1016/j.toxlet.2011.11.002
- Braydich-Stolle L, Hussain S, Schlager JJ, Hofmann M-C. In vitro cytotoxicity of nanoparticles in mammalian germline stem cells. Toxicol Sci. 2005;88(2):412–419.
- Takeda K, Suzuki K, Ishihara A, et al. Nanoparticles transferred from pregnant mice to their offspring can damage the genital and cranial nerve systems. J Health Sci. 2009;55(1):95–102.
- Kim YS, Song MY, Park JD, et al. Subchronic oral toxicity of silver nanoparticles. Part Fibre Toxicol. 2010;7:20.
- Elkhawass EA, Mohallal ME, Soliman MF. Acute toxicity of different sizes of silver nanoparticles intraperitonally injected in BALB/c mice using two toxicological methods. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2014;7(1):94–99.
- Sleiman HK, Romano RM, Oliveira CA, Romano MA. Effects of prepubertal exposure to silver nanoparticles on reproductive parameters in adult male Wistar rats. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2013;76(17):1023–1032. doi: 10.1080/15287394.2013.831723
- Aziz N, Saleh RA, Sharma RK, et al. Novel association between sperm reactive oxygen species production, sperm morphological defects and the sperm deformity index. Fertil Steril. 2004;81(2):349–354.
- Miresmaeili SM, Halvaei I, Fesahat F, Fallah A, Nikonahad N, Taherinejad M. Evaluating the role of silver nanoparticles on acrosomal reaction and spermatogenic cells in rat. Iran J Reprod Med. 2013;11(5):423.
- Braydich-Stolle LK, Lucas B, Schrand A, et al. Silver nanoparticles disrupt GDNF/Fyn kinase signaling in spermatogonial stem cells. Toxicol Sci. 2010;116(2):577–589.
- Hammadeh M, Zeginiadov T, Rosenbaum P, Georg T, Schmidt W, Strehler E. Predictive value of sperm chromatin condensation (aniline blue staining) in the assessment of male fertility. Arch Androl. 2001;46(2):99–104.
- Salsabili N, Mehrsai A, Jalalizadeh B, Pourmand G, Jalaie S. Correlation of sperm nuclear chromatin condensation staining method with semen parameters and sperm functional tests in patients with spinal cord injury, varicocele and idiopathic infertility. Urol J. 2009;3(1): 32–37.
- Franken D, Franken C, De La Guerre H, De Villiers A. Normal sperm morphology and chromatin packaging: Comparison between aniline blue and chromomycin A3 staining. Andrologia. 1999;31(6):361–366.
- Mehdi M, Khantouche L, Ajina M, Saad A. Detection of DNA fragmentation in human spermatozoa: Correlation with semen parameters. Andrologia. 2009;41(6):383–386.
- Castellini C, Ruggeri S, Mattioli S, et al. Long-term effects of silver nanoparticles on reproductive activity of rabbit buck. Syst Biol Reprod Med. 2014;60(3):143–150.