Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2016, vol. 25, nr 4, July-August, p. 617–623
Publication type: original article
Galectin-3 in Patients with Acute Heart Failure: Preliminary Report on First Polish Experience
1 Department of Laboratory Medical Diagnostics, Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
2 1st Chair and Department of Cardiology, Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
Background. Galectin-3 (Gal-3) as a biomarker of fibrosis and inflammation has been implicated in the development and progression of heart failure (HF) and may predict increased morbidity and mortality in society.
Objectives. In this preliminary report we investigated the utility of a novel serum marker for the diagnosis of acute HF (AHF).
Material and Methods. The study involved 14 AHF patients aged 67.0 ± 14.6 yrs. with left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) 29.29 ± 10.73%, hospitalized at the Intensive Coronary Care Unit, where the research took place. In addition, a control group consisting of 19 volunteers who were age, gender and ethnically matched to the HF group was recruited. In the study group, the concentrations of Gal-3, NT-proBNP, hsCRP and basic clinical parameters, such as prevalence of dyspnea and LVEF were determined. The concentration of Gal-3 in serum was examined by an automated quantitative test (VIDAS® Galectin-3, bioMerieux SA, France) using the ELFA technique. The survival rate was assessed after a 12-month follow-up.
Results. The median (IQR) Gal-3 concentrations in patients with AHF were higher (nearly 2.1-times) than in the control group – 17.8 (10.3–27.8) ng/mL vs. 8.4 (6.5–11.0) ng/mL; p = 0.0007. In our study group, the median (IQR) of concentrations of NT-proBNP 4723 (1415–29725) pg/mL and hsCRP 10.0 (4.9–13.9) mg/L were observed. In those patients, the statistically significant correlation (Spearman’s rank-correlation coefficient) between the concentrations of Gal-3 and NT-proBNP (Rs = 0.565; p = 0.035) as well as the value of LVEF and the concentration of hsCRP (Rs = –0.663; p = 0.020) were stated. The serum Gal-3 concentrations were significantly higher among the 4 HF patients (28.6%) who had died than among the HF patients who were alive after this time (n = 10) (55.6 ± 37.6 ng/mL vs. 15.0 ± 7.04 ng/mL; p = 0.005).
Conclusion. Higher expression of Gal-3 is an indicator of myocardial fibrosis and remodeling in decompensated HF. Therefore, galectin-3 seems to be an interesting and valuable marker of AHF.
biomarkers, NT-proBNP, acute heart failure, galectin-3, left ventricle ejection fraction
- Chang YY, Chen A, Wu XM, Hsu TP, Liu LY, Chen YH, Wu YW, Lin HJ, Hsu RB, Lee CM, Wang SS, Lo MT, Chen MF, Lin YH: Comparison the prognostic value of galectin-3 and serum markers of cardiac extracellular matrix turnover in patients with chronic systolic heart failure. Int J Med Sci 2014, 11, 1098–1106.
- Fang J, Mensah GA, Croft JB, Keenan NL: Heart failure-related hospitalization in the U.S., 1979 to 2004. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008, 52, 428–434.
- Van Kimmenade RR, Januzzi JL, Ellinor PT, Sharma UC, Bakker JA, Low AF, Martinez A, Crijns HJ, MacRae CA, Menheere PP, Pinto YM: Utility of amino-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide, galectin-3, and apelin for the evaluation of patients with acute heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006, 48, 1217–1224.
- De Filippi C, Christenson RH, Shah R, Bhardwaj A, Januzzi JL: Clinical validation of a novel assay for galectin3 for risk assessment in acutely destabilized heart failure. J Card Fail 2009, 15, S9.
- Lok DJ, van der Meer P, de la Porte PW, Lipsic E, van Wijngaarden J, Hillege HL, van Veldhuisen DJ: Prognostic value of galectin-3, a novel marker of fibrosis, in patients with chronic heart failure: Data from the DEAL-HF study. Clin Res Cardiol 2010, 99, 323–328.
- Shah RV, Chen-Tournous AA, Picard MH, van Kimmenade RR, Januzzi JL: Galectin-3, cardiac structure and function, and long-term mortality in patients with acutely decompensated heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail 2010, 12, 826–832.
- Lopez-Andres N, Rossignol P, Iraqi W, Fay R, Nuee J, Ghio S, Cleland JG, Zannad F, Lacolley P: Association of galectin-3 and fibrosis markers with long-term cardiovascular outcomes in patients with heart failure, left ventricular dysfunction, and dyssynchrony: Insights from the CARE-HF (Cardiac Resynchronization) trial. Eur J Heart Fail 2012, 14, 74–81.
- De Boer RA, Voors AA, Muntendam P, van Gilst WH, van Veldhuisen DJ: Galectin-3: A novel mediator of heart failure development and progression. Eur J Heart Fail 2009, 11, 811–817.
- Sharma UC, Pokharel S, van Brakel TJ, van Berlo JH, Cleutjens JP, Schroen B, Andre S, Crijns HJ, Gabins HJ, Maessen J, Pinto YM: Galectin-3 marks activated macrophages in failure-prone hypertrophied hearts and contributes to cardiac dysfunction. Circulation 2004, 110, 3121–3128.
- Ueland T, Aukrust P, Broch K, Aakhus S, Skardal R, Muntendam P, Gullestad L: Galectin-3 in heart failure: High levels are associated with all-cause mortality. Int J Cardiol 2011, 150, 361–364.
- Tang WH, Shrestha K, Shao Z, Borowski AG, Troughton RW, Thomas JD, Klein AL: Usefulness of plasma galectin3 levels in systolic heart failure to predict renal insufficiency and survival. Am J Cardiol 2011, 108, 385–390.
- Di Lella S, Sundblad V, Cerliani JP, Guardia CM, Estrim DA, Vasta GR, Rabinovich GA: When galectins recognize glycans: From biochemistry to physiology and back again. Biochemistry 2011, 50, 7842–7857.
- Al-Ansari S, Zeebregts CJ, Slart RH, Peppelenbosch M, Tio RA: Galectins in atherosclerosis disease. Trends Cardiovasc Med 2009, 19, 164–169.
- Diaz JA, Ramacciotti E, Wakefield TW: Do galectins play a role in venous thrombosis? A review. Tromb Res 2010, 125, 373–376.
- McCullough PA, Olobatoke A, Vanhecke TE: Galectin-3: A novel blood test for the evaluation and management of patients with heart failure. Rev Cardiovasc Med 2011, 12, 200–210.
- Kramer F: Galectin-3: Clinical utility and prognostic value in patients with heart failure. Res Rep Clin Cardiol 2013, 4, 13–22.
- Smilde TD, van Veldhuisen DJ, Navis G, Voors AA, Hillege HL: Drawbacks and prognostic value of formulas estimating renal function in patients with chronic heart failure and systolic dysfunction. Circulation 2006, 114, 1572–1580.
- Lang RM, Bierig M, Devereux RB, Flachskampf FA, Foster E, Pellikka PA, Picard MH, Roman MJ, Seward J, Shanewise J, Solomon S, Spencer KT, St John Sutton M, Steward W; American Society of Echocardiography`s Nomenclature and Standards Committee; Task Force on Chamber Quantification; American College of Cardiology Echocardiography Committee; American Heart Association; European Association of Echocardiography; European Society of Cardiology: Recommendations for chamber quantification. Eur J Echocardiogr 2006, 7, 79–108.
- Januzzi JL, Camargo CA, Anwaruddin S, Baggish AL, Chen AA, Krauser DG, Tung R, Cameron R, Nagumey JT, Chae CU, Lloyd-Jones DM, Brown DF, Foran-Melanson S, Sluss PM, Lee-Lewandrowski E, Lewandrowski KB: The N-terminal Pro-BNP investigation of dyspnea in the emergency department (PRIDE) study. Am J Cardiol 2005, 95, 948–954.
- Grandin EW, Jarolim P, Murphy SA, Ritterova L, Cannon CP, Braunwald E, Morrow DA: Galectin-3 and the Development of Heart Failure after Acute Coronary Syndrome: Pilot Experience from PROVE IT-TIMI 22. Clin Chem 2012, 58, 267–273.
- Ho JE, Liu ChL, Lyass A, Courchesne P, Pencina MJ, Vasan RS, Larson MG, Lew D: Galectin-3, a marker of cardiac fibrosis, predicts incident heart failure in the community. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012, 60, 1249–1256.
- Kaptoge S, Seshasai SR, Gao P, Freitag DF, Butterworth AS, Barglykke A, Di Angelantonio E, Gudnason V, Rumley A, Lowe GD, Jorgensen T, Danesh J: Inflammatory cytokines and risk of coronary heart disease: New prospective study and updated meta-analysis. Eur Heart J 2014, 35, 578–589.
- Gullestad L, Ueland T, Kjekshus J, Nymo SH, Hulthe J, Muntendam P, Adourian A, Bohn M, van Veldhuisen DJ, Komajda M, Cleland JG, Wikstrand J, McMurray JJ, Aukrust P, CORONA Study Group: Galectin-3 predicts response to statin therapy in the Controlled Rosuvastatin Multinational Trial in Heart Failure (CORONA). Eur Heart J 2012, 33, 2290–2296.
- Lok DJ, Lok SI, Bruggink-André de la Porte PW, Badings E, Lipsic E, van Vijngaarden J, de Boer RA, van Veldhuisen DJ, van der Meer P: Galectin-3 is an independent marker for ventricular remodeling and mortality in patients with chronic heart failure. Clin Res Cardiol 2013, 102, 103–110.