Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2015, vol. 24, nr 2, March-April, p. 267–274
Publication type: original article
Ileal Pouch Morphology and Microbiology in Ulcerative Colitis Patients
1 First Department and Clinic of General, Gastroenterological and Endocrinological Surgery, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
2 Division of Pathomorphology, Department of Pathomorphology, Wroclaw Medical University, Poland
Background. Ideal pouch created during restorative proctocolectomy is a new gastrointestinal organ – “neorectum”. Although it is made from the ileum, it takes over function of the removed rectum. This new function results in significant morphological changes in pouch’s mucous membrane, which becomes similar to the large bowel mucosa. The most common pathology of the ileal pouch is its inflammation – pouchitis. One of the suspected causes of pouchitis is bacterial flora disturbance.
Objectives. The aim of the study was to analyze the morphological and microbiological changes in ileal pouches in different time periods after ileostomy closure and to evaluate the influence of certain bacterial strains on the degree of inflammation.
Material and Methods. The study involved 47 patients who had been treated surgically; they were investigated before and at different stages after ileostomy closure. They underwent repeated rectoscopies with biopsies of pouch mucosa and swabs for microbiological examination. In total 89 rectoscopies were performed, which provided 70 histopathological results according to the Heidelberg Pouchitis Activity Score and 87 microbiological test results.
Results. The assessment of the morphology of intestinal pouches showed increased signs of chronic inflammation as the length of time after the closure of a protective ileostomy increased. There was no correlation between the signs of acute inflammation and the length of time after surgery; there were more signs of acute inflammation in cases of pouchitis. The composition of the bacterial flora of intestinal pouches changed as the length of time after ileostomy closure increased, with significant increases in the number of enterobacteriaceae species. The presence of Staphylococcus aureus significantly correlates with a higher degree of chronic inflammation; this bacterium may be a potential infectious factor in pouchitis.
Conclusion. Microbiological analysis of intestinal pouch lumen is a useful tool that can be used in routine follow-up assessment of intestinal pouches as well as in diagnosing pouchitis.
ileal pouch, ulcerative colitis, restorative proctocolectomy, pouchitis
- Marciniak R, Majewski P, Drews M, Krokowicz P, Lange M, Banasiewicz T, Janicka-Jedyńska M, Malinger S: Endoscopical and histological aspects of inflammatory changes in J-pouch mucosa. Pol J Pathol 2000, 51, 25–30.
- Setti Carraro P, Talbot IC, Nicholls RJ: Longterm appraisal of the histological appearances of the ileal reservoir mucosa after restorative proctocolectomy for ulcerative colitis. Gut 1994, 35, 1721–1727.
- Fazio VW, Ziv Y, Church JM, Oakley JR, Lavery IC, Milsom JW, Schroeder TK: Ileal pouch-anal anastomoses complications and function in 1005 patients. Ann Surg 1995, 222, 120–127.
- Shen B, Lashner B: Diagnosis and treatment of ileal pouch diseases in patients with underlying ulcerative colitis. Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 2006, 9, 3–12.
- Gionchetti P, Morselli C, Rizzello F, Romagnoli R, Campieri M: Management of pouch dysfunction or pouchitis with an ileoanal pouch. Best Prac Res Clin Gastroenterol 2004, 18, 993–1006.
- Borjesson L, Willen R, Haboubi N, Duff SE, Hulten L: The risk of dysplasia and cancer in the ileal pouch mucosa proctocolectomy for ulcerative proctocolitis is low: a long-term term study. Colorectal Dis 2004, 6, 494–498.
- Fazio VW, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Coffey JC, Heneghan HM, KIrat HT, Manilich EM, Shen B, Martin ST: Ileal Pouch Anal Anastomosis Analysis of Outcome and Quality of Life in 3707 Patients. Ann Surg 2013, 257, 679–685.
- Gionchetti P, Rizzello F, Lammers KM, Morselli C, Sollazzi L, Davies S, Tambasco R, Calabrese C, Campieri M: Antibiotics and probiotics in treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. World J Gastroenterol 2006, 12, 3306–3313.
- Kuhbacher T, Ott SJ, Helwig U, Mimura T, Rizzello F, Kleessen B, Gionchetti P, Blaut M, Campieri M, Folsch UR, Kamm MA, Schreiber S: Bacterial and fungal microbiota in relation to probiotic therapy (VSL#3) in pouchitis. Gut 2006, 55, 833–841.
- Mack DR: Probiotics in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases and Associated Conditions. Nutrients 2011, 3, 245–264.
- Heuschen U, Allemayer E, Hinz U, Autschbach F, Uehlein T, Herfarth C, Heuschen G: Diagnosing pouchitis. Comparative validtion of two scoring systems in routine follow-up. Dis Colon Rectum 2002, 45, 776–788.
- Kuisma J, Mentula S, Luukkonen P, Jarvinen H, Kahri A, Farkkila M: Factors associated with ileal mucosal morphology and inflammation in patients with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis for ulcerative colitis. Dis Colon Rectum 2003, 46, 1476–1483.
- Ruseler van Embden JGH, Schouten WR, van Lieshout LMC, Auwerda HJA: Changes in bacterial composition and enzymatic activity in ileostomy and ileal reservoir during intermittent occlusion: a study using dogs. Appl Environ Microbiol 1992, 58, 111–118.
- Merrett MN, Soper N, Mortensen N, Jewell DP: Intestinal permeability in the ileal pouch. Gut 1996, 39, 226–230.
- De Silva HJ, Millard PR, Soper N, Kettlewell M, Mortensen N, Jewell DP: Effects of the fecal stream and stasis on the ileal pouch mucosa. Gut 1991, 32, 1166–1169.
- Majewski P, Marciniak R, Banasiewicz T, Biczysko M, Krokowicz P, Drews M: Ultrastructural changes In the small intestinal epithelium after total resection of the colon. Pol J Pathol 1996, 47, 105–114.
- Campbell AP, Merrett MN, Kettelewell M, Mortensen NJ, Jewell DP: Expresion of colonic antigens by goblet and columnar epithelial cells in ileal pouch mucosa: Their association with inflammatory change and fecal stasis. J Clin Pathol 1994, 47, 834–838.
- Tiainen J, Maticainem M, Aitola P, Hiltunen KM, Mattila J: Histological and macroscopic changes in the pelvic pouch: long-term follow up after restorative proctocolectomy for ulcerative colitis (UC). Colorectal Dis 2001, 3, 28–32.
- De Silva HJ, Millard PR, Kettelewell M, Mortensen NJ, Prince C, Jewell DP: Mucosal characteristics of pelvic ileal pouches. Gut 1991, 32, 61–65.
- Yu ED, Shao Z, Shen B: Pouchitis. World J Gastroenterol 2007, 13, 5598–5604.
- Ferrante M, Declerck S, De Hertogh G, Van Asche G, Geboes K, Rutgeerts P, Penninckx F, Vermeire S, D’Hoore A: Outcome after proctocolectomy with ileal pouch-anal anstomosis for ulcerative colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2008, 14, 20–28.
- Michelassi F, Lee J, Rubin M, Fichera A, Kasza K, Karrison T, Hurst RD: Long-term functional results after ileal pouch anal restorative proctocolectomy for ulcerative colitis. Ann Surg 2003, 238, 433–445.
- Moskowitz RL, Shepherd NA, Nicholls RJ: An assessment of inflammation in the reservoir after restorative proctocolectomy with ileoanal ileal reservoir. Int J Colorectal Dis 1986, 1, 167–174.
- Walker M, Radley S: Adenocarcinoma in an ileoanal pouch formed for ulcerative colitis in a patient with primary sclerosing cholangitis and a liver transplant: report of case and review of the literature. Dis Colon Rectum 2006, 49, 909–912.
- Schaus BJ, Fazio VW, Remzi FH, Bennet AE, Lashner BA, Shen B: Clinical features of ileal pouch polyps in patients with underlying ulcerative colitis. Dis Colon Rectum 2007, 50, 832–838.
- Jiang W, Shadrach B, Carver P, Goldblum JR, Shen B, Liu X: Histomorphologic and Molecular Features of Pouch and Peripouch Adenocarcinoma. A Comparison With Ulcerative Colitis-associated Adenocarcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 2012, 36, 1385–1394.
- Gullberg K, Lindforss U, Zetterquist H, Stalberg D, Reinholt FP, Veress B, Tribukait B, Olivecrona H, Lofberg R: Cancer risk assessment in long-standing pouchitis. DNA aberrations are rare in transformed neoplastic pelvic pouch mucosa. Int J Colorectal Dis 2002, 17, 92–97.
- Coull DB, Lee FD, Anderson JH, Mc Kee RF, Finlay IG, Dunlop MG: Long-term cancer risk of the anorectal cuff following restorative proctocolectomy assessed by p53 expression and cuff dysplasia. Colorectal Dis 2007, 9, 321–327.
- Stern H, Walfish S, Mullen B, McLeod R, Cohen Z: Cancer in an ileoanal reservoir: a new late complication? Gut 1990, 31, 473–475.
- Onderdonk AB, Dworak AM, Cisneros RL, McLeod RS, Antionoli D, Silen W, Blair JE, Monahan-Earley RA, Cullen J, Cohen Z: Microbiologic assesment of tissue biopsy samples from ileal pouch patients. J Clin Microbiology 1992, 30, 312–317.