Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2014, vol. 23, nr 2, March-April, p. 191–195
Publication type: original article
Identifying EGFR Mutations from SCLC Patient Plasma by Mutant-Enriched Liquidchip Technology
1 Zhejiang Key Laboratory of diagnosis & Treatment Technology on Thoracic Oncology, Zhejiang cancer Hospital, Hangzhou 310022, PRc
2 Department of Oncology, Xiangshan first People’s Hospital, Xiangshan 315700, PRc
3 Department of Traditional chinese Medicine, Zhejiang Institute for food and drug control, Hangzhou 310004, PRc
4 Department of Medical Oncology, Zhejiang cancer Hospital, Hangzhou 310022, PRc
5 Surexam bio-Tech co. Ltd., guangzhou Technology Innovation base, Science city, guangzhou 510663, PRc
Background. epidermal growth factor receptor (egfR) tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKI) such as erlotinib and gefitinib are targeted drugs for the kinase domain of egfR. They are widely used for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer (NScLc). The egfR exon 19 deletion mutation and the L858R mutation in exon 21 comprise approximately 90% of the somatic mutations in NScLc patients that respond to egfR TKI. Several recent studies have also reported that small cell lung cancer (ScLc) patients with egfR mutations responded to gefitinib. further study, however, has been limited due to the difficulty obtaining tumor specimens from ScLc patients.
Objectives. The aim of this study was to explore the egfR mutation status in ScLc patients by plasma analysis.
Material and Methods. Plasma samples from ScLc patients were collected for mutant-enriched liquidchip (MeL) analysis to identify the egfR mutations in exon 19 and 21.
Results. The exon 19 deletion mutation was detected in one out of 35 patients (a female non-smoker). No exon 21 mutations were found.
Conclusion. a prevalence of egfR mutations in ScLc is rare, and occurs most frequently in females and nonsmokers.
small cell lung cancer, epidermal growth factor receptor, gene.
- Douillard JY, Shepherd FA, Hirsh V, Mok T, Socinski MA, Gervais R, Liao ML, Bischoff H, Reck M, Sellers MV, Watkins CL, Speake G, Armour AA, Kim ES: Molecular predictors of outcome with gefitinib and docetaxel in previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer: data from the randomized phase III INTeReST trial. J clin Oncol 2010, 28, 744–752.
- Maemondo M, Inoue A, Kobayashi K, Sugawara S, Oizumi S, Isobe H, Gemma A, Harada M, Yoshizawa H, Kinoshita I, Fujita Y, Okinaga S, Hirano H, Yoshimori K, Harada T, Ogura T, Ando M, Miyazawa H, Tanaka T, Saijo Y, Hagiwara K, Morita S, Nukiwa T; North-East Japan Study Group: gefitinib or chemotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer with mutated egfR. N engl J Med 2010, 362, 2380–2388.
- Mok TS, Wu YL, Thongprasert S, Yang CH, Chu DT, Saijo N, Sunpaweravong P, Han B, Margono B, Ichinose Y, Nishiwaki Y, Ohe Y, Yang JJ, Chewaskulyong B, Jiang H, Duffield EL, Watkins CL, Armour AA, Fukuoka M: gefitinib or carboplatin – paclitaxel in pulmonary adenocarcinoma. N engl J Med 2009, 361, 947–957.
- Mitsudomi T, Morita S, Yatabe Y, Negoro S, Okamoto I, Tsurutani J, Seto T, Satouchi M, Tada H, Hirashima T, Asami K, Katakami N, Takada M, Yoshioka H, Shibata K, Kudoh S, Shimizu E, Saito H, Toyooka S, Nakagawa K, Fukuoka M; West Japan Oncology Group: gefitinib versus cisplatin plus docetaxel in patients with non-smallcell lung cancer harbouring mutations of the epidermal growth factor receptor (WJTOg3405): an open label, randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol 2010, 11, 121–128.
- Zhou C, Wu YL, Chen G, Feng J, Liu XQ, Wang C, Zhang S, Wang J, Zhou S, Ren S, Lu S, Zhang L, Hu C, Hu C, Luo Y, Chen L, Ye M, Huang J, Zhi X, Zhang Y, Xiu Q, Ma J, Zhang L, You C: erlotinib versus chemotherapy as first-line treatment for patients with advanced egfR mutation-positive non-small-cell lung cancer (OPTIMaL, cTONg-0802): a multicentre, open-label, randomised, phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol 2011, 12, 735–742.
- Shigematsu H, Lin L, Takahashi T, Nomura M, Suzuki M, Wistuba II, Fong KM, Lee H, Toyooka S, Shimizu N, Fujisawa T, Feng Z, Roth JA, Herz J, Minna JD, Gazdar AF: clinical and biological features associated with epidermal growth factor receptor gene mutations in lung cancers. J Natl cancer Inst 2005, 97, 339–346.
- Wu YL, Zhong WZ, Li LY, Zhang XT, Zhang L, Zhou CC, Liu W, Jiang B, Mu XL, Lin JY, Zhou Q, Xu CR, Wang Z, Zhang GC, Mok T: epidermal growth factor receptor mutations and their correlation with gefitinib therapy in patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis based on updated individual patient data from six medical centers in mainland china. J Thorac Oncol 2007, 2, 430–439.
- Okamoto I, Araki J, Suto R, Shimada M, Nakagawa K, Fukuoka M: egfR mutation in gefitinib responsive smallcell lung cancer. ann Oncol 2006, 17, 1028–1029.
- Zakowski MF, Ladanyi M, Kris MG: egfR mutations in small-cell lung cancers in patients who have never smoked. N engl J Med 2006, 355, 213–215.
- Qian J, Qin SK, Tang QQ, Chen YX, Yang LQ: gefitinib in patients with advanced refractory small cell lung cancer contemporaneous with superior venacava syndrome. chin clin Oncol 2005, 10, 243–244.
- Shiao TH, Chang YL, Yu CJ, Chang YC, Hsu YC, Chang SH, Chang SH, Shih JY, Yang PC: epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in small cell lung cancer: a brief report. J Thorac Oncol 2011, 6, 195–198.
- Tatematsu A, Shimizu J, Murakami Y, Horio Y, Nakamura S, Hida T, Mitsudomi T, Yatabe Y: epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in small cell lung cancer. clin cancer Res 2008, 14, 6092–6096.
- Lu HY, Sun WY, Chen B, Zhang YP, Cai JF, Su D, Wang Z, Zheng YQ, Ma SL: epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in small cell lung cancer patients who received surgical resection in china. Neoplasma 2012, 59, 100–104.
- Asano H, Toyooka S, Tokumo M, Ichimura K, Aoe K, Ito S, Tsukuda K, Ouchida M, Aoe M, Katayama H, Hiraki A, Sugi K, Kiura K, Date H, Shimizu N: detection of egfR gene mutation in lung cancer by mutantenriched polymerase chain reaction assay. clin cancer Res 2006, 12, 43–48.
- Bremnes RM, Sirera R, Camps C: circulating tumor derived dNa and RNa markers in blood: a tool for early detection, diagnostics, and follow up. Lung cancer 2005, 49, 1–12.
- Bai H, Mao L, Wang HS, Zhao J, Yang L, An TT, Wang X, Duan CJ, Wu NM, Guo ZQ, Liu YX, Liu HN, Wang YY, Wang J: epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in plasma dNa samples predict tumor response in chinese patients with stages IIIb to IV non-small-cell lung cancer. J clin Oncol 2009, 27, 2653–2659.
- He C, Liu M, Zhou C, Zhang J, Ouyang M, Zhong N, Xu J: detection of epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in plasma by mutant-enriched PcR assay for prediction of the response to gefitinib in patients with nonsmall-cell lung cancer. Int J cancer 2009, 125, 2393–2399.
- Wu S, Zhu Z, He J, Luo X, Xu J, Ren-Heidenreich L: a novel mutant-enriched liquidchip technology for the qualitative detection of somatic mutations in KRaS gene from both serum and tissue samples. clin chem Lab Med 2010, 48, 1103–1106.
- Zhu JQ, Zhong WZ, Zhang GC, Li R, Zhang XC, Guo AL, Zhang YF, An SJ, Mok TS, Wu YL: better survival with egfR exon 19 than exon 21 mutations in gefitinib-treated non-small cell lung cancer patients is due to differential inhibition of downstream signals. cancer Lett 2008, 265, 307–317.
- Rosell R, Moran T, Queralt C, Porta R, Cardenal F, Camps C, Majem M, Lopez-Vivanco G, Isla D, Provencio M, Insa A, Massuti B, Gonzalez-Larriba JL, Paz-Ares L, Bover I, Garcia-Campelo R, Moreno MA, Catot S, Rolfo C, Reguart N, Palmero R, Sánchez JM, Bastus R, Mayo C, Bertran-Alamillo J, Molina MA, Sanchez JJ, Taron M; Spanish Lung Cancer Group: Screening for epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in lung cancer. N engl J Med 2009, 361, 958–967.