Advances in Clinical and Experimental Medicine
2014, vol. 23, nr 1, January-February, p. 117–121
Publication type: original article
The Image of Polish Medical Institutions in the Media
1 Department of Public Health, Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
Background. The media have a huge set of different techniques that contribute to shaping public perceptions of reality. These days, there are many lively discussions about the adverse conditions in health care.
Objectives. The purpose of this survey was to identify the role of media reports in affecting the public image of health care institutions in Poland.
Material and Methods. Graduates and students of several of the biggest universities and colleges in Poland were the target group for the survey. The test group consisted of 1160 people (25% men and 75% women). An anonymous questionnaire consisting of 32 questions was posted on a special website. The data obtained are presented in graphs and tables.
Results. Among the survey participants, 16.44% considered media reports a trustworthy source of news about health care system. There was no correlation between participants
Conclusion. The results obtained in this survey imply that media reports play a major role in creating the image of Polish health care institutions. Consequently, cultivating appropriate relations with the media should be a significant part of managing of every health care institution.
image of the hospital, media relations, cooperation with the media, the media.
- Budzyński W: Public relations, strategy and new methods creating image. (in Polish), Poltex. Warszawa 2008, 26–28, 81–88, 147–152.
- Rozwadowska B: Public relations in the theory, practice, perspective. (in Polish), Studio eMKA, Warszawa 2002, 25.
- Staszewski R: Media relations in the hospital – fine feathers make fine birds. Professionalism in Health Care Institutions – a guide for employees, Publication co-financed by the european Union and the state budget for the project: Raising the competence and qualifications of medical staff for the professionalism in health care, (case study has been published in the Polish), Poznań 2008, 85–107.
- Samardakiewicz M: The perception of the health care system in the light of recent media reports. (in Polish), Onkol Pol 2008, 11, 45–48.
- Stępień W: Who, what and how to create public opinion on health care in Poland? Transformation processes in health care: barriers and opportunities. (in Polish), Putz J. (ed.), IPIS, Warszawa 2002, 10–196.
- Baum E, Staszewski R: Challenges of heath care system. Nursing, geriatrics, medical secretariate in terms of ethics, health care and management, Publication co-financed by the european Union as part of european Social fund. (in Polish), Poznań 2009, 73–89.
- Cialdini R, Influence – Science and Practice, (book has been published in the Polish), wyd. GWP, Gdańsk 2000.
- Nazarko-Ludwiczak E, How to do PR in health care – a practical capture, (the article has been published in the Polish), Ogólnopol Przegl Med 2009, 4.